The Kyneton Mechanics Institute, re-erected in 1858 and 1877, is historically and architecturally significant at a State level as one of Victoria's largest institutes. The architectural form is now in a free new-classical style. The first part of the main hall was designed by William Douglas, a prominent local architect. After a number of fires and later alterations and additions, the exterior walls and facade of his design apparently remain. The exposed timber roof trusses in the main hall are an interesting feature, and the building continues to serve the local community as the library and senior citizens' rooms. The institute is set in an attractive reserve of elm, oak and plane trees.
File note November 2011: Re-development as a multi-use community facility.