Former Bank of New South Wales, 67 Piper Street, Kyneton, is a blue- stone structure erected in 1856 for the bank to the designs of architect PW Douglas. The two storied structure is constructed in coursed bluestone masonry and has a hipped slate roof. The building is symmetrically arranged about the centrally located single storied porch, which is faced with bands and has a cornice. The chimneys, eaves, brackets, quoins, window and door surrounds and string course are features.
Former Bank of New South Wales, 67 Piper Street, Kyneton, forms part of the notable townscape of Kyneton, an important nineteenth century highway town. This bank is a landmark in the town and is an essential part of its streetscape. The structure is particularly representative of the long business centre of the town, which contracted after the gold rushes, closing this bank. The important essentially Georgian design is distinguished by its regency porch and classical eaves brackets and chimneys. Former Bank of New South Wales, 67 Piper Street, Kyneton, closed in the1880s and was a residence until recent years when the building became a museum. Intactness is good and condition is excellent.
[Source: Register of the National Estate Citation]