The Rail Bridge was constructed for the Victorian Railways in 1890 by McDermott & Sons along the Wandong-Bendigo line, south of Pyalong. It is a timber trestle structure, comprising 19 freestanding trestles set at 20 feet (6 metre) centres, combining double pile and stay pile piers, originally supporting a single track. The line was closed in 1968 and the bridge is currently fenced off.
Thebridge is historically and architecturally significant to the State of Victoria.
Thebridge is historically significant as an important relic of a former line that was used to supply the Bendigo mines with shaft timbers. The line was also very important for local produce, being used in the transportation of wool and sheep. It is also an example of a rail bridge constructed as a result of the 'Octopus Act' of 1884.
The bridge is architecturally significant as a representative and substantially intact example of a timber trestle bridge using stay piles and timber longitudinal girders supporting a timber rail deck. It is a notable example of a timber trestle bridge construction, which demonstrates a distinctive and presently rarely used construction method that utilises the best qualities of native bush timbers.
Adopted from Heritage Victoria statement 25/10/2011