St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church was constructed to a design by English Architect Charles Hansom, the construction being supervised by Architect Nathaniel Billing. The foundation stone was laid on the 24th July, 1857. The chancel was added in 1867 to designs by Wardell and Denny. The Church contains carvings by Walter McGill.
St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church is one of a number of Victorian Churches designed by English Architect Charles Joseph Hansom, the most important of which are St Patrick's Cathaderal, Ballarat and parish Churches in Kyneton and Kilmore. The Port Fairy Church is a characteristic example of his work and a notable and substantial Early English Gothic Style Church in Western Victoria. The chancel is also of interest. The Church remains little altered from the date of construction.
The structure is in excellent condition.
Classified: 'Regional' 06/07/1967
Part of Port Fairy Historic Area, Classified: 02/03/1981.