The former Bank of Australasia was constructed in 1857 to the designs of Nathaniel Billing. The contractors were McKenzie and McGowan. The Bank is one of the most important and distinctive buildings in Port Fairy. The two-storied bluestone structure is of substantial proportions and the structure is one of Billing's most important works and a fine building with regard to both detailing and design. The structure has an angled corner with projecting bluestone porch. There are round-headed windows framed by bluestone bands to the ground floor windows, whilst the windows above have segmental arches, with the exception of that in the angled corner, which repeats the round-headed motif used below. The main walls feature shallow courses of coursed bluestone masonry and the quoins, stringcourse and window surrounds and the chimneys are the features of the various facades. In design terms, this building marks the transition between the Georgian style and the emergence of the Conservative Classical Revival style, in which most banks in Victoria were to be constructed. This building is one of the finest early banks in Victoria.
Part of Port Fairy Historic Area. Classified: 02/03/1981
2010 Note: ANZ Bank relocated in c. 1995 and building has had various retail tenants since. Exterior in good condition. Currently unoccupied as retail tenancy.