Statement of Significance
What is significant?
Emoh is a single storey stone residence of six principal rooms, part dating from as early as 1849, but mostly from the early 1850s, and subsequently much altered and extended, notably after 1885. It is located within the central street-grid of Port Fairy and close to the River Moyne. The original owner was William Rutledge, merchant, banker, settler and early MP and elements of his house remain internally. David Jermyn, a doctor, purchased the property in 1863 from a bankrupt Rutledge and in 1868 sold almost half the land to the Bank of Victoria. The sale could have forced alterations to a substantial glazed verandah along the new western boundary, which appears in an historic photograph of Rutledge and his wife in 1861. Jermyn was possibly responsible for the introduction of a lobby in the hall and the conversion of the front west room into a surgery. A later owner, the grazier John Meagher changed the facade to its present Classical style. (John Mason of Port Fairy may have acted as architect and Charles Bourne as plasterer.) Emoh operated as a Youth Hostel from 1976 when further substantial renovations and additions were made
How is it significant?
Emoh is of architectural and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The complex is architecturally significant for its sequence of development from the pre-gold rush period through to the late twentieth century and for its Renaissance revival facade, relatively rare at this scale and date.
Emoh is historically significant for its association with William Rutledge, David Jermyn and John Meagher specifically and for its reflection of the changing character, conditions and fortunes of Belfast and Port Fairy generally when it was a seafaring town essential for the settlement and development of the Western District.
EMOH - HistoryAssociated People:
EMOH - Permit ExemptionsGeneral Conditions:
1. All alterations are to be planned and carried out in a manner that prevents damage to the fabric of the registered place or object.
2. Should it become apparent during further inspection or the carrying out of alterations that original or previously hidden or inaccessible details of the place or object are revealed which relate to the significance of the place or object, then the exemption covering such alteration shall cease and the Executive Director shall be notified as soon as possible.
3. If there is a conservation policy and plan approved by the Executive Director, all works shall be in accordance with it.
4. Nothing in this declaration prevents the Executive Director from amending or rescinding all or any of the permit exemptions.
5. Nothing in this declaration exempts owners or their agents from the responsibility to seek relevant planning or building permits from the responsible authority where applicable.
It is recommended that the following external works, subject to the recorded advice of the local Heritage Adviser, are exempt from the need for a permit:
* Painting of all buildings, except existing non-painted surfaces, where the colours and types of paint used are traditional to the nineteenth and early twentieth century,
* Minor landscaping, e.g. plantings, paths, gates and fences.
* Minor signage, e.g. nameplates,
* Routine maintenance, e.g. replacement of defective joinery with the like, electrical rewiring, plumbing repairs, etc.,
* Removal of extraneous items such as air conditioners, pipe work, ducting, wiring, signage, antennae, aerials etc, and making good,
* All non-structural works to the 1970s dormitory wing.
It is recommended that the following internal works are exempt from the need for a permit:
* Works required to comply with the recommendations of the CFA Fire Safety Evaluation Report No. 5827-281102-281124
ie. requirements for outward swinging doors, exit signs, emergency lighting, firefighting equipment and smoke hazard management.
* Interior decoration to the main rooms which involves painting, papering and fitted floor finishes based on evidence discovered by physical and photographic research but no works which require the removal of joinery, plasterwork and structure,
* Alterations to the main kitchen to the extent of new fittings and surfaces which are required to meet health and safety regulations,
* Alterations to the secondary kitchen to the extent of new fittings and surfaces which are required to meet health and safety regulations,
* Alterations to bathrooms and laundries and toilet areas to the extent of new fittings and surfaces which are required to meet health and safety regulations,
* Installation, removal or replacement of smoke detectors,
* Installation, removal or replacement of electrical wiring if all new wiring is fully concealed and any original light switches, pull cords, push buttons or power outlets are retained in-situ. (Note: if wiring original to the place was carried in timber conduits, then the conduits should remain in-situ.)
* All non-structural works to the 1970s dormitory wing.
EMOH - Permit Exemption PolicyThe purpose of the permit exemptions is to allow works that do not impact on the significance of the place to take place without the need for a permit. If any doubt exists as to the need for a permit, owners should contact Heritage Victoria or its representative, usually the local Heritage Adviser.
Most of the works required to comply with the recommendations of the CFA Fire Safety Evaluation Report No. 5827-281102-281124 do not require a Heritage Victoria permit ie. requirements for outward swinging doors, exit signs, emergency lighting, firefighting equipment and smoke hazard management. Alterations to the access and egress of the stables do remain subject to the permit process.
It is recommended that:
1. a Conservation Management Plan be prepared for the whole of the land and all of the buildings, but excluding the 1970s dormitory wing,
2. an archaeological survey be undertaken to determine any sensitive aspects within the grounds and, amongst other things, the significance of the ruined chimney breast on the eastern boundary of the site, (This may be the remains of the wing on the right hand side of the historic photograph in Syme, Seeds of a Settlement, p. 31.),
3. the weatherboard extension to the east of the front wing is retained but that it may be modified subject to a permit,
4. no development on the site should be of two storeys other than the existing stable,
5. the front garden be landscaped to reflect the later nineteenth century period.
FORMER ST ANDREWS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH AND MANSEVictorian Heritage Register H0850
GUNS AND EMPLACEMENTSVictorian Heritage Register H1504
PORT FAIRY COURT HOUSEVictorian Heritage Register H1480
"AMF Officers" ShedMoorabool Shire
"AQUA PROFONDA" SIGN, FITZROY POOLVictorian Heritage Register H1687