FORMER ST ANDREWS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH AND MANSE SOHE 2008
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - July 2, 1999
The former St Andrews Presbyterian Church Port Fairy was erected by T Fairbairn in 1854 to replace an earlier wattle and daub church of 1843. CH MacKnight of Dunmore Station laid the foundation stone on 10th November 1853. The rectangular plan gable church is dominated by an austere Greek Revival facade composed of cement rendered ionic pilasters enframed windows central entrance portal surmounted by a plain gable pediment and entablature. The church is a rare example of the primitive Greek Revival style in Victoria. The church has long and established associations with the early settlement of Port Fairy and particularly in the years prior to 1862. Many of the interior fittings and the memorial stained glass windows have been removed to the new church erected on the William Street frontage leaving the 1854 structure virtually abandoned. The church has been abandoned for a new structure erected in the early 1970s and the interior has been largely disassembled. The exterior remains intact.