Murndal on the Wannon River near Merino was taken up in 1838 by Irish pastoralist Samuel Pratt Winter.
The homestead grew gradually from 1845. The original two room stone cottage had tiny bedroom and verandah extensions
c. 1845-50, gables two storey stone east wings and enclosed verandahs in late 1850s, two storey west wing and iron verandah in 1878, and in 1906 W R Butler designed Elizabeathan Revival extensions over the central single storey.
Murndal homestead is a rare continum of pastoral property development and the epitome of alteration and adaptation in the Western District. The homestead, set in a magnificent mature landscaped garden, and dominated by Butler's noteworthy
Elizabethan style extensions of 1906, has the charm of an English mannor house and further reinforced by the integration of house and station buildings around the rear courtyard. Five generations of the influential Winter Cooke family have occupied the house.
Murndal homestead and station buildings are preserved in splendid condition in an equally well maintained garden landscape.