Heritage Inventory History of Site: Osborne House, stables and courtyard was erected in 1858 for pastoralist Robert Muirhead, a former overseer with the Clyde Company. Main house was added in 1910 and 1967. In 1900 the Victorian Government bought the property and in 1905 it was given to the Geelong Harbour Trust. By 1910 additions were made and it became a guest house. In 1913 the house and grounds were used as a naval college. After 1915 the house and grounds were used as a military hospital, the red Cross, a submarine base and from 1937 the Corio Shire offices.
Heritage Inventory Interpretation: This site consists of Osborne House and Stables. Osborne House is made up of several additions since 1858, with extensive additions during the 1890s, 1910, 1912 & 1970s. The site also consists of land which has had formal driveways, formal gardens, tennis court, timber naval cadet buildings and at present an unknown amount of outbuildings therefore not only are the house and stables of importance, but also the land for archaeological potential.
The Osborne House site consists of house, stables (the Naval & Maritime Museum), former Shire of Corio depot buildings (to the north of the stables) and land bounded by Osborne park fenceline, Swinburne Street, Corio Bay and a fenceline to the north. The site could also extend into Corio Bay, where former jetties, bathing area and submarine berthing area existed prior to the St Helens Boat ramp./n
Heritage Inventory Significance: Osborne House has significant associations with prominent pastoralists and the first naval college in Australai. and an early submarine base. The building has also been used as the Corio Shire Offices since the late 1930s. The original house and stables have arcitectural significance for being relatively intact examples of buildings from this period 1850s/60s. Of State significance.
Heritage Inventory Site Features: Immediate site boundary for Osborne House is all land along Swinburne Street frontage, Corio Bay Cliffs, fenceline with SEC (north boundary) and Osborne Park fenceline (west boundary). The original property covered all of Osborne Park up to melbourne Road, and eastwards into Corio Bay where the Naval College period jetties and baths were located and later during the Submarine Base period where submarines were berthed. Extension at Swinburne Street to east to St helen's Boat Ramp.