RAVENHALL MAGAZINE AND STORAGE FACILITY - Archaeological Significance
The site maintains high levels of intactness and integrity and has been subject to little to no disturbance. The majority of the site comprises extant structures, however, there are some land modification works including contruction of a tramway, the embankment of which remains, dams and channels, and drystone walling. Overall the site has low archaeological potential.
RAVENHALL MAGAZINE AND STORAGE FACILITY - Historical Significance
The site is of local historical significance for its association with government policy and the protection of explosives in the Western Region during World War Two. Together with the Truganina Munitions Reserve, the site forms part of the historical landscape of the area and represents a layer in the Western Region's history. The site also has links to pastoral activities reflecting the development of local industry.
RAVENHALL MAGAZINE AND STORAGE FACILITY - Heritage Inventory Description
Updated description: The site comprises acomplex of extant buildings constructed of timber, corrugated iron and asbestos; mature sugar gum border plantings; 2 dykes; earthworks; drainage channels; 2 dams - 1 with partial bluestone walling; stone walls; stockyards; and alow density artefact scatter.
[Reassessed for the Outer Western Metro Site Reassessment Project - Melton & Wyndham, March 2010]
Previous description: Ravenhall magazine/storage facility. Erected betweem 1943 and 1946. Remaining features include: 1. Timber/corrugated iron building near old gate; 2. timber/corrugated iron building at end of siding; 3. brick and fibro building in SW corner; 4. pines along the internal road; 5. old gateway and road; 6. disused railway siding and culverts.