Alexander McKenzie took up the Reedy Creek run in 1841 and his family owned the property until the 1920s. The present single storey timber homestead comprises three wings erected around a single courtyard. The earliest part, the south wing, dates from the late 1850s. The principal west wing faces the garden and comprises three large elaborately decorated rooms. This wing and the north wing probably date from the 1880's. It appears that some of the decoration was added in the 1890's.
This is the best surviving homestead in the area and is typical of nineteenth century homestead design. The grand and pretentious use of stencilling and other decorative techniques is of great importance, and illustrate superbly the late Victorian passion of building up a decorative scheme by laying pattern upon pattern and colour upon colour the excessively deep cornices, large fireplace and fitted drawing room carpet are also of great significance. The older south wing with its original kitchen and more primitive construction is notable. The cast iron veranda substituted an original timber verandah with decorative timber valance. There have been some alterations to the bay windows.
The homestead is in poor condition, and requires stabilizing. There are cracks on the interior. The roof needs renewal. Chimney needs underpinning.
[Source: Register of the National Estate Citation]
A weatherboard homestead and outbuildings of no great exterior pretension, but incorporating very fine and elaborate modelled, stencilled, painted adpressed leather interior decoration much of it in the roman manner.