St Mark's Anglican Church is one of the earliest surviving permanent churches in Gippsland. It was built between 1866 and 1867 by a well-known local builder William Allen. There is a possibility that Leonard Terry, a prominent Melbourne architect, was influential in the design. He was diocesan architect at the time.
The Romanesque detailing of the building is most unusual. Its general form and plan are typical of country churches. Of particular interest are the memorials to the King family, who were local pioneers and were related to Governor King, and three stained glass windows to the memory of Margaret the wife of Poa Nine, a Chinese baker. Further historical importance stems from the church's incumbents. The first, George McCartney, a priest and barrister, resigned to become MLA for South Gippsland. Two others became Bishop of Bendigo and Bishop of Wangaratta.