The Rosedale Hotel complex comprises a two-storey brick hotel (originally constructed as a single storey building in 1858 and altered in 1927), brick stables of 1858 and a two storey kitchen and staff quarters (at one stage used as a courthouse) constructed in 1863. The complex has historical significance as an important early Gippsland hotel complex and as a centre of social activity in Rosedale from the 1850s and early 1960s when it was a town in the region at the junction of the melbourne and Port Albert roads. It is also significant for its associations with pioneer Gippsland settlers Paul Cansick, John Trood and the builder, William Allen. The buildings are of architectural significance because of their unusual arrangement on the site forming a courtyard facing the street, rather than the more usual courtyard at the rear. This is a factor in the significant townscape contribution that the complex makes to Rosedale. The brick detailing apparent in the kitchen/staff quarters building (originally present in all three buildings) is also of significance and indicative of the work of Allen.