The Wesleyan Chapel (1868) on the right, and the main Church (1888) on the left, 1981.
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - November 1, 2009
Statement of Significance as recorded under the Queenscliff Heritage Study 2009
The 1868 and 1888 Methodist churches, and the adjacent St Andrews, create an ecclesiastical precinct in Queenscliff, given their similar gabled form and the use of face brickwork in the two later churches. They also form a transition in the streetscape from the commercial section of Hesse Street, to the residential quarter to the south and to the east. The former Methodist Church is aesthetically significant as a well designed and detailed late nineteenth century church building designed in a Gothic Revival style. It is historically significant as an example of a nineteenth century church building in the township. Its successful adaptation to commercial premises is also demonstrative of the recent stage of development in the township, where tourism has been revived and Queenscliff has become, once again, a popular resort. The former Methodist Church is architecturally significant as an example of the work of the prominent Melbourne architectural firm of Oakden Addison & Kemp. The former Methodist Church is socially significant as a building known, used and valued, originally as a church, and in more recent years as a bookshop and cafe, by the local community and visitors to Queenscliff.