St Albans Homestead at Whittington, a single storey 30-roomed brick mansion, was erected in 1873 for the noted race horse breeder and trainer James Wilson. The Melbourne architect James T Conlan designed the extensive homestead in the fashionable polychromatic mode with an elaborate cast iron verandah by Geelong foundry men Humble & Co.
There were additions to the homestead in 1875 designed by Conlan and, in 1878, alterations and additions designed by Conlan and Salway. The homestead was identified as a significant building in the Geelong Regional Commission Study and has been recorded by the National Trust. The integrity of the property is high. St Albans has both historical and architectural significance for the following reasons:
(1) it is a most distinctive work of the architect JT Conlan.
(2) it is of significance as one of the leading horse racing studs in Australia in the late 19th century.
(3) many Melbourne cup runners were trained on the St Albans track. The legendary Phar Lap stayed briefly at St Albans stud in 1930 on the eve of his celebrated Melbourne Cup victory.