What is significant? The Former Melbourne Veterinary College, 38-40 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy is a two storey brick building constructed in 1886 as an animal hospital and veterinary college by WT Kendall, who is known as the founder of veterinary science in Australia. The animal hospital operated from 1886 to 1928. The college, the first in Australia, operated from 1888 to 1909 when it was taken over by the University of Melbourne and moved to a site in Parkville. Signage on the facade of the building reads: "Hospital for Horses, Dogs, etc." and 'Melbourne Veterinary College". A plaster horse head is placed over the entrance.
How is it significant?
The Former Melbourne Veterinary College is of historical, scientific and architectural significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The Former Melbourne Veterinary College is historically and scientifically significant as the site of the first animal hospital and veterinary college in Victoria and for its association with WT Kendall, the founder of veterinary science in Australia and an important figure in the history of science in this country. It is historically important as the first animal hospital and veterinary training institute in Victoria. It is associated with the history and practice of veterinary education in Victoria and with important advances in the control of animal diseases in Victoria, such as with the first tuberculin testing of cattle which took place on the site in 1895.
The Former Melbourne Veterinary College is architecturally significant as a rare late nineteenth century building specifically designed as an animal hospital and training institute. While the building has been altered, enough evidence remains to demonstrate its use. It is the only site in Victoria which demonstrates the training of veterinary surgeons in the late nineteenth century.