One of the few remaining examples of the substantial private residences that once lined St Kilda and Queen's Roads, Bendigonia was erected in 1883 for John Edward Gard, one of the more prominent members of the Bendigo mining community. The design of the multi-gabled house, attributed to Wilson & Beswicke, is a relatively late and very unusual example of the bargeboarded Rural Gothic style, exhibiting something of the muscularity of the Modern Gothic. Symmetrical about each of its main elevations, it is distinguished by the three bays on the Queen's Road facade, the splayed corners of which project
increasingly as they rise through the full height of the building. A detached service wing and former stable block at the rear of the house survive in an altered but recognizable form.
Citation Revised: 18/09/1991