Bryant and May, an English company manufacturing matches since 1861, began trading in Australia in 1885, merged with another English manufacturer, R Bell and Co., in 1909 and proceeded to manufacture in Australia. The Bryant and May complex is of strong significance as one of the few surviving mostly intact examples of substantial factories engendered in Richmond prior to the 1914-18 war. It grew in stages, initiating with the construction of the factory and office block of 1909, extended in 1910, with the dining hall added in 1917. These were all to the design of architect, William Pitt; builder Clements Langford. A western extension to the factory, a new chimney stack and boiler house, futher offices and Brymay Hall were added in 1920-22 to the designs of Klingender and Hamilton. Arthur and Hugh Peck designed the extensions of 1934. In the 1920s Bryant and May became regarded as a model factory with the provision of staff amenities such as tennis courts, basket ball courts, a bowling green, and one of Australia's first industrial nurses. The complex exhibits harmonic progression of form and a firm imprint of Australia's industrial and social history.