The Former Lalor House at 293 Church Street Richmond was erected in 1888 for local doctor, Joseph P. Lalor, son of the celebrated Eureka Stockade leader and politician Peter Lalor. The arcaded, two storey brick and stucco residence and surgery was designed in an original and exaggerated boom classicism style by American-born architect William George Wolf.
How is it significant?
The Former Lalor House is of architectural and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it Significant?
The Former Lalor House is of architectural significance as an exemplary boom style classicism design. It is characterised by an innovative, exaggerated use of massive classical motifs, harsh tonality and exuberant ornament. It is rivalled only by Benvenuta at Carlton and Labassa at Caulfield for period architectural importance in Victoria. The building remains intact and of high external integrity. The iron palisade fence is preserved.
The Former Lalor House is of historical significance for its associations with the Lalor family.
Peter Lalor, the father of the house's owner, was a celebrated leader of the Eureka Stockade rebellion and later a politician, and died at the house in February 1889.