The bluestone mileposts along the Glenelg Highway between Scarsdale and Ballarat were installed prior to the 1870s and are linked to the development of the Cobb & Co routes. The bluestone mileposts predate the first cast iron posts and are an intact and visual reminder of the imperial measuring system previously operating in Australia. The posts consist of triangular bluestone posts with a shaved top and all have been painted in recent years. The rear face of the posts is rounded. The stone mileposts read (B1): Ballarat 13 - Scarsdale 2 - Linton 8; (B2): Ballarat 12 - Smythesdale 0 - Scarsdale 3 - Linton 9; (B3): Ballarat 11 - Smythesdale 1 - Scarsdale 4 - Linton 10; (B4): Ballarat 4 - Smythesdale 8 - Scarsdale 11 - Linton 17 and (B5): Ballarat 3 - Smythesdale 9 - Scarsdale 12 - Linton.
The stone mileposts on the Glenelg Highway between Scarsdale and Ballarat are of historical and architectural significance to the State of Victoria.
The stone mileposts on the Glenelg Highway between Scarsdale and Ballarat are of historical significance for their association with the development of early Victoria. Road construction was accelerated following the economic boom of the gold rushes in Victoria and the mileposts were a direct response to this, trying to rationalise the road system of a developing colony. The stone mileposts between Scarsdale and Ballarat assist in a greater understanding of the development and impact of 19th century economic activity in the State and the resultant need for transport systems. The mileposts on the Glenelg Highway between Scarsdale and Ballarat are a visual reminder of the evolution of Victoria's infrastructure and the past imperial system of measurements and weights. The mileposts are of historical importance for their ability to describe transport routes and requirements of the 1870s.
The removal of the mileposts, and their respective re-instatement, is of historical significance. After the fall of Pearl Harbour in 1942, most mileposts were dug up and buried a few meters behind their original location; most were re-instated into their original locations in 1946. The mileposts were removed or hidden in an attempt to thwart enemy forces in the event that Australia was invaded. This act symbolises what was a national psychological response to a major world crisis and a reaction to particular events outside Australia's national boundaries.
The stone mileposts between Scarsdale and Ballarat are architecturally significant as good examples of stonemason's art and their simple but elegant shape is aesthetically pleasing. The structures are typical of a vernacular stonemason's tradition. The mileposts are among a group of rare surviving examples of stone mileposts in Australia.