Port View House is a rendered terrace, one of a group of south Melbourne buildings designed by the architect Frederick de Garis. De Garis was responsible for the adjoining Finn Barr (no.155) and Mt Durand Terrace opposite. This house was built in 1885 for a doctor WH Ford.
It is an exuberant expression of 1880s boom style architecture and notable for its cast-iron detailing on the verandah (including a fern motif) and front fence. Port View House is of architectural and historical importance for the following reasons:
a) as a fine example of the work of the architect Frederick de Garis;
B) as an exuberant expression of 1880's "boom style" classicism in a terrace residence;
C) for the high standard of craftsmanship associated with detailing and ironwork;
D) for expressing the lifestyle of a professional man in inner metropolitan Melbourne in the 1880s.