Hazelwood Terrace a group of three double storey stucco on brick town houses at 46, 47, 48 Howe Crescent, South Melbourne, was erected in 1865 as an investment for George Black.
The traditionally planned Victorian Italianate style terrace is enhanced with classically detailed entry porticos, continuous balustraded first floor balcony and contrasting parapet and enframed pedimented windows.
Hazelwood Terrace is an elegant and exceptional Victorian Italianate design of unknown architectural origin. Despite the widespread proliferation of the Italianate style in the 1860s Hazelwood Terrace stands out clearly as an original and distinctive terrace form which was repeated in Melbourne. The continuous terrace row facade, plainly reminiscent of earlier British planning traditions, forms part of an identifiable Howe Crescent streetscape. Hazelwood Terrace facade is intact and of high integrity. The interiors have been sympathetically altered.