An Edwardian two-storey corner brick hotel designed by the architect J.B. Grut, with some characteristics ofvthe Old English style and built in 1911. It was altered in 1928 to Rupert Taylor's design. There was continuity in the Purday family's ownership from c l857 until 1949.
It is of local historical significance for its association with developments in the community life of the town, as a business on the route to the goldfields, for its hospitality since the 1850s and as a representative embodiment of the community's life for over eighty years.
It is of local architectural significance as a representative and relatively intact example of an Edwardian style hotel, and social significance as traditional focus and meeting place for the community and for travellers.
Hotel (Court House Hotel) - Physical Description 1
An Edwardian, two-storey brick corner hotel with some Old English characteristics. It has a Marseilles terra-cotta unglazed terra-cotta tile roof; with cresting and finials. There are three bays to Gisborne Road, and four bays to Main Street. Each bay, (except two to Main Street and one to Gisborne Road) has a jettying upper gable, timbered on joists and brackets, with pendant barges with discs. There is apron decoration beneath first floor windows.