This place is not yet classified by the Trust, but may be in the future.
It is however listed at the State level by the State Government body Heritage Victoria, giving it statutory protection. Details can be found at www.heritage.vic.gov.au, by clicking on the Heritage Register Online, and searching using the "H" number given above.
The Loch Ard Peacock was modelled by the renowned French animalier, Paul Comolera as an conservatory ornament. It was made between 1873 and 1878 by the pottery co. - Minton & Co. in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. It was inteded for exhibition at the 1880-81 Melbourne International Exhibition and wa shipped on the iron clipper 'Loch Ard'. The ship was wrecked on the night of 31st May, 1878 and 2 days later the crate containing the Peacock was washed onto the beach of the gorge - now named Loch Ard Gorge. The finder was Mr. James Miller, one of a syndicate who purchsed rights to the wreck and the peacock stayed in the possession of the Miller family unitl 1943, when purchased by Mr. Frank Ridley-Lee. Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum purchased the peacock in 1975.
The peacock is a rare and excellent example of a Minton peacock and is made of earthernware covered in Majolica glaze.
The peacock is of historical, social and aesthetic significance to the State of Victoria. As the most notable artefact to survive from one of Victoria and Australia's worst ship wreck tragedies, its well documented history supports its level of significance. Socially, its purchase by funds raised by local residents and the State Government and its continuing display at Flagstaff Hill symbolises and helps interpret survival stories of the perilous Shipwreck coast.
Aesthetically - it is a rare example of an 1870's Minton work - renowned in the Victorian period for its outstanding ceramic 'art' pieces. It is the most famous of Paul Colomera's works and as a prime example of Majolica ware - it has been referred to by collectors as the 'Majolica Holy Grail'. The peacock is the only known survivng example in Victoria and one of only 2 in Australia.
(Taken from Victorian Heritage Register Statement of Significance.)