Jacks Magazine Canal, Loading Dock And Wharves - Veterans Description for Public
Jacks Powder Magazine was built between 1875-76 and opened in 1878. By 1891, it was the largest and most important public magazine in the colony. Explosives from vessels in Hobson's Bay were transported upriver to Jack's Magazine, where they were unloaded onto barges at the entrance to the canal and/or proceeded 400 yards up the canal to offload at the canal loading dock, along Edgewater Boulevard. From here the explosives were offloaded onto a tramway that proceeded through a tunnel into the main explosives depot.
Jacks Magazine Canal, Loading Dock And Wharves - Heritage Inventory Description
Wharf piles are evident on either side of the canal entrance in the river. The northern wharf has evidence of two rows of paired timber piles that run 21 m from the former canal exit to the north, with sheet piling along the inside edge of the inner pile row along the bank. The piles are spaced 3 - 4m apart on the inner row, with the outer piles 3 m offshore. The southern wharf remains consists a 1 m section of vertical timber sheet piling that runs perpendicular to the bank, a single pile and a section of collapsed decking timber.
Wharf piles, canal banks, loading dock and archaeological deposits.