Whittlesea Memorial Arch - Veterans Description for Public
The Whittlesea Memorial Arch, on Forest Street,was the third of three memorials erected by Whittlesea's residents following the First World War. The first was a Church of England Memorial Hall and the second a statue of a soldier standing at ease. In June 1926, Cr. Downie reported to the Whittlesea Shire Council that the committee formed to erect the soldiers statue still had £300 in hand, and proposed that a Memorial Arch be erected in Forest Street, at the foot of Walnut Street. Permission was granted, under the supervision of the Shire Engineer. The Whittlesea Sub Branch of the RSSAICA arranged the unveiling ceremony on 7th March 1927, which was officiated by the State Governor, Lord Somers. The town was decorated with flags and bunting and ex servicemen formed a guard of honour at the Arch flanked by school children. A banquet was then held following the ceremony. Today, Anzac Day is still the occasion for a march through the town to the Memorial Arch, with a service after.