Statement of Significance
What is significant?
The first Bull and Mouth Hotel, a single storey stone building, opened on this site in about 1855. It was in a prominent location at the intersection of two main roads through Maryborough, backing on to the civic square, and became an important local meeting place and landmark. In 1904, Maryborough's Jubilee Year, the owner, the former Maryborough resident Thomas Procter of Ballarat, engaged the Ballarat architect W E Gribble and local builder W J Dingle to construct a new two storey hotel, incorporating three shops along High Street. It was a symbol of faith in Maryborough's future at a time when Victoria was still recovering from the 1890s depression, and expressed hopes of the town's future prosperity from deep lead mining, hopes which did not materialise. The appointments of the new hotel were the most modern for the period and included piped hot water and a telephone system. On the ground floor were a public bar, a private bar, a parlour, a spacious dining room, a commercial room, a billiard room, a kitchen and a laundry, while upstairs there was a large drawing room, more than fifteen bedrooms and three bathrooms. It is still operating as a hotel.
The Bull and Mouth Hotel is an Edwardian Baroque style two-storey, rendered brick building with an undecorated two-storey wing at the rear along Nolan Street. The ground floor walls have deeply lined rustication, with rusticated pilasters rising up to the first floor, and above is an elaborate parapet concealing the hipped, corrugated iron roof. The corner is emphasised by an oriel window topped by a circular domed turret with a flag pole. On each side of the tower are flanking gables with the name of the hotel and the date 1904 inscribed within. The ground floor windows have segmental arches and some windows have B&M etched into the glass. Outside the first floor windows are small cantilevered balconies supported by decorative consoles and shell-shaped brackets. The exterior is intact except for the three former shops on High Street, which have had the original verandahs replaced with modern cantilevered ones, and the original openings replaced with wide brick arches. The ground floor interiors have been radically altered: walls have been removed and few original features remain apart from a fine divided staircase with a brass balustrade leading from the residential entrance to the accommodation above. The hotel is an important element in the town's heritage precinct, being opposite the civic square and the former State Bank building.
How is it significant?
The Bull and Mouth Hotel is significant for historical and architectural reasons to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The Bull and Mouth Hotel is architecturally significant as an exceptionally fine early twentieth century hotel building. It is a notable and early example in Victoria of the Edwardian Baroque style, which was widely adopted for public buildings in the early twentieth century, but which is not common in country Victoria. It forms an important element in the Maryborough streetscape.
The Bull and Mouth Hotel is historically significant as a demonstration of the continuing prosperity of Victoria's gold mining towns into the twentieth century, despite the 1890s depression. This continuing wealth is reflected in the grandeur of this country hotel building.
BULL AND MOUTH HOTEL - History
The first Bull and Mouth Hotel was built on this site c1855, though the land was only purchased in 1856 by John White. The design of the early hotel was by Charles Toutcher (later the town Clerk), who designed many of the town's first major buildings. It was a single storey stone building with verandahs and parapets along the two street frontages. An extensive stone building was completed at the rear for bedrooms in 1858. In 1861 'an entire alteration' to the frontages in High and Nolan Streets was being carried out. (Osborn & DuBourg, Maryborough A Social History 1854-1904, p 388). The hotel was in a prominent location at the intersection of two main roads through the town, and backing on to the civic square, and became an important local meeting place and landmark.
The old Bull and Mouth was demolished and a new hotel was built in the town's Jubilee Year, 1904. The owner, Thomas Procter of Ballarat, formerly of Maryborough, received much praise for putting so much confidence in Maryborough's future, which then appeared to be good, with prospects of successful deep alluvial and reef mining. Procter engaged W E Gribble of Ballarat as the architect, and local builder W J Dingle as the contractor. The Advertiser featured a detailed description of the new hotel to be built on the corner of High and Nolan Streets, describing it as a 'very handsome two-storey structure in the Italian Renaissance style of architecture' and printed a lithograph of the new building as a supplement. The hotel was to have an up-to-date bar with a private bar, a parlour and an office attached. There was also to be a spacious dining room, commercial room, billiard room, parlour, kitchen and laundry on the ground floor while upstairs there was to be a large drawing room with the remainder of the building to comprise commodious bedrooms, including three bathrooms. All its appointments were the most modern for the period, including a telephone and a hot water service, to be installed 'with all the latest connections for hot water baths and showers, basins, sinks, etc'. The new building incorporated three new shops along High Street, two occupied by J Strachan Robertson, a soft goods importer, and the Exhibition Boot Company in the other. The licensees were A J Frayne and Florence Amoretty. (Osborn & DuBourg, Maryborough A Social History 1854-1904, p 371.)
A fire in December 1910 caused considerable damage to the hotel. It began in Robertson's drapery shop and smashed the splendid plate glass windows, and damaged the billiard room.
Maryborough hotels underwent considerable changes of management in 1911. Lilian Amoretty, sister of the original licensee, sold the licence to Elizabeth Blewett, who again sold it in 1913 to South African Conrad Lischeld. The original owner, Thomas Proctor, died in 1936 and eventually the hotel was taken over by Carlton and United Breweries. It changed hands in 1907 and is still operating as a hotel.
BULL AND MOUTH HOTEL - Assessment Against Criteria
The historical importance, association with or relationship to Victoria's history of the place or object
The Bull and Mouth Hotel, which is unusually grand for a country hotel of the early twentieth century, demonstrates the continuing prosperity of Victoria's goldmining towns into the twentieth century, despite the effect of the 1890s depression.
b. The importance of a place or object in demonstrating rarity or uniqueness
The Bull and Mouth Hotel is an exceptionally fine early twentieth century hotel building. It is a notable and early example in Victoria of the Edwardian Baroque style, which was widely adopted for public buildings, and for city department stores, in the early twentieth century, but which is not common in country Victoria.
c. The place or object's potential to educate, illustrate or provide further scientific investigation in relation to Victoria's cultural heritage
d. The importance of a place or object in exhibiting the principal characteristics or the representative nature of a place or object as part of a class or type of places or objects
e. The importance of the place or object in exhibiting good design or aesthetic characteristics and/or in exhibiting a richness, diversity or unusual integration of features
f. The importance of the place or object in demonstrating or being associated with scientific or technical innovations or achievements
g. The importance of the place or object in demonstrating social or cultural association
h. Any other matter which the Council deems relevant to the determination of cultural heritage significance
BULL AND MOUTH HOTEL - Plaque Citation
This Edwardian Baroque hotel was designed by the Ballarat architect W E Gribble and built in 1904. It is a notable example of the style and demonstrates the continuing prosperity of Maryborough after the 1890s depression.
BULL AND MOUTH HOTEL - Permit Exemptions
1. All alterations are to be planned and carried out in a manner which prevents damage to the fabric of the registered place.
2. Should it become apparent during further inspection or the carrying out of alterations that originally or previously hidden or inaccessible details of the place are revealed which relate to the significance of the place, then the exemption covering such alteration shall cease and the Executive Director shall be notified as soon as possible.
3. If there is a conservation policy and plan approved by the Executive Director, all works will be in accordance with it.
4. Nothing in this declaration prevents the Executive Director from amending or rescinding all or any of the permit exemptions.
5. Nothing in this declaration exempts owners or their agents from the responsibility to seek relevant planning or building permits from the responsible authority where applicable.
The purpose of the permit exemptions is to allow works that do not impact on the heritage significance of the place to occur without the need for a permit. Works other than those mentioned in the permit exemptions may be possible but will require either the written approval of the Executive Director or permit approval.
Minor repairs and maintenance.
Removal of extraneous items such as air conditioners, pipe work, ducting, wiring, antennae, aerials etc, and making good.
Installation or removal of external fixtures and fittings such as, hot water services and taps.
Installation and repairing of damp proofing by either injection method or grouted pocket method.
Painting of previously painted walls and ceilings provided that preparation or painting does not remove evidence of any original paint or other decorative scheme.
Removal of paint from originally unpainted or oiled joinery, doors, architraves, skirtings and decorative strapping.
Installation, removal or replacement of carpets and/or flexible floor coverings.
Installation, removal or replacement of curtain tracks, rods, blinds and other window dressings.
Installation, removal or replacement of hooks, nails and other devices for the hanging of mirrors, paintings and other wall mounted artworks.
Removal of tiling or concrete slabs in wet areas provided there is no damage to or alteration of original structure or fabric.
Installation, removal or replacement of kitchen benches and fixtures, including sinks, stoves, ovens, refrigerators, dishwashers, etc, and associated plumbing and wiring.
Installation, removal or replacement of ducted, hydronic or concealed radiant type heating provided that the installation does not damage existing skirtings and architraves and provided that the location of the heating unit is concealed from view.
Installation, removal or replacement of electrical wiring provided that all new wiring is fully concealed.
Installation, removal or replacement of bulk insulation in the roof space.
Installation, removal or replacement of electric clocks, public address systems, detectors, alarms, emergency lights, exit signs, luminaires and the like on plaster surfaces.
Installation, removal or replacement of smoke detectors.
Installation of stud walls which are removable.
Demolition or removal of non-original stud/partition walls, suspended ceilings or non-original wall linings (including plasterboard, laminate and Masonite), bathroom partitions and tiling, sanitary fixtures and fittings, kitchen wall tiling and equipment, lights, built-in cupboards, cubicle partitions, computer and office fitout and the like.
Removal or replacement of non-original door and window furniture including, hinges, locks, knobsets and sash lifts.
Installation of plant within the roof space.
Installation of new fire hydrant services including sprinklers, fire doors and elements affixed to plaster surfaces.
BULL AND MOUTH HOTEL - Permit Exemption Policy
The purpose of the Permit Policy is to assist when considering or making decisions regarding works to the place. It is recommended that any proposed works be discussed with an officer of Heritage Victoria prior to them being undertaken or a permit is applied for. Discussing any proposed works will assist in answering any questions the owner may have and aid any decisions regarding works to the place. It is recommended that a Conservation Management Plan is undertaken to assist with the future management of the cultural significance of the place.
The addition of new buildings to the site may impact upon the cultural heritage significance of the place. The purpose of this requirement is not to prevent any further development on this site, but to enable control of possible adverse impacts on heritage significance during that process.
The significance of the place lies in its rarity and intactness as an early twentieth century Edwardian Baroque hotel building. Any alterations that impact on its significance are subject to permit application. All original elements of the building should be retained, including the external form and the main staircase and any other original internal features. The reinstatement of the original facades of the shops along High Street should be encouraged.
MARYBOROUGH COURT HOUSEVictorian Heritage Register H1475
MARYBOROUGH RAILWAY STATIONVictorian Heritage Register H1577
PRINCE'S PARKVictorian Heritage Register H1880
"AMF Officers" ShedMoorabool Shire
"AQUA PROFONDA" SIGN, FITZROY POOLVictorian Heritage Register H1687