FORMER WESLEYAN CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL SOHE 2008
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - May 5, 1999
What is significant?
The former Wesleyan Church, designed by Terry and Oakden, was constructed between 1883 and 1884. The former Wesleyan Sunday School, constructed in 1870, was designed by a prominent local architect JA Doane.
How is it significant?
The former Wesleyan Church and Sunday School Hall are of architectural, historic and social importance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The former Wesleyan Church is architecturally significant as an important and essentially intact example of the work of the prominent firm of architects Terry and Oakden.
The Gothic design of the former Wesleyan Church, which skilfully handles a difficult site, is important as a striking example of polychrome brickwork.
The elongated windows of the former Wesleyan Church, with geometric tracery, are also of significance for their notched brickwork diaper patterns, together with the horizontal wall banding the lozenge motifs.
The former Wesleyan Sunday School Hall, whilst of lesser importance architecturally than the Church, is historically significant in its ability to demonstrate the diverse social, didactic and religious activities for which it was used.
The buildings are of historical significance as a symbol of faith and identity of the Wesleyan community in Ballarat, which was, at the time of construction, a pre-eminent city within the colony of Victoria.
The buildings are significant in their ability to indicate the aspirations and values of Wesleyans in the colony in the nineteenth century. Whilst Wesleyans typically constructed austere chapels, it is probable that this elaborate church at Ballarat was intended to be a symbol of the faith of Ballarat Wesleyans.