During a land boom in the late 1870's, Beaconsfield Parade developed as a resort area. The pier was constructed to a Public Works Department design in response to public demand and was built in two stages. The first section built in 1887 was 360 ft long, and was extended later that year by another 300 ft until completed in 1889.
The original decking timbers have been asphalted. The balustrading remains substantially intact, with original timber bollards also present at its seaward extremity (Ward, 2000: Dbase #1142). There is a high probability that deposits of artefacts are situated below and surrounding the pier in the underwater sediment. The pier was badly damaged by storms in Feb 2005.
State Level Significance - Heritage Register Listing (H1534). Both its social function and physical form are of significance, as it is one of very few substantially intact nineteenth century piers extant in Port Phillip. The site has archaeological significance as the area below and surrounding the pier would most likely have artefact deposits on and in the sediment.