The Bank of Victoria (now C.B.C. bank) purchased the Bendigo Bank in 1854 and was thus the first large trading bank to open in Bendigo. The present two storey brick structure was erected in 1863-64 (architect: A.L. Smith). The rendered facades face Pall Mall and View Street and intersect at a chamfered corner. The ground floor is arcuated and rusticated. The first floor comprises a series of pedimented windows and a trabeated system of tripled Doric pilasters. This is the longest established bank and oldest bank building in Bendigo.
The structure is an important example of bank architecture in the conservative classical style and its richly decorated facade reflects the prosperous gold mining city. It is a fine example of the work of A.L. Smith whose banks exhibit a wide variety of classical designs.
The tripled pilasters and the detail at the chamfer corner are unusual and distinctive features. The bank superbly terminates the row of buildings down View Street and is an essential feature of this important historic city. The building is generally intact and in a sound structural condition. [Source: Register of the National Estate]