1. Amongst the oldest surviving buildings in Hawthorn associated with the beginnings of the Village of Hawthorn. It is the only survivor of the nine hotels which were built by the late 1850s in this region
2. the former "Bridge Hotel" has historical significance for its associations with James Connell, pioneer settler, farmer and publican.
3. Illustrative of the importance of communication links with Melbourne city in the development of Hawthorn.
HO220 West Hawthorn Precinct, Hawthorn
The West Hawthorn Precinct, Hawthorn, is an area of heritage significance for the following reasons:
- The place is a large and varied concentration of brick and timber Victorian worker's cottages and modest residences. Connell and Mason Streets have a good proportion of brick residences, while College, Fashoda, Spencer Streets have a higher concentration of timber workers' cottages.
- The place is representative of the growth of Hawthorn as a Victorian garden suburb from 1856-1900, particularly the use of the garden suburb ideal through the incorporation of parkland in order to improve the amenity of workers housing.
- The precinct also includes a mix of late Federation and interwar houses and flats.
A two storey hotel of rendered masonry, parapetted to the principal elevation, with a hipped roof behind (possibly shingles under iron ?). The ground floor has been substantially altered and now has no windows. An entry porch here is of unknown date. Its simplified styling could relate to the 1860s conversion of the hotel into a residence, however it is unlikely to form part of the original building which probably incorporated a verandah, given the setback to the property boundary.
On the first floor the windows are unevenly spaced, destroying any implied Georgian effect. The sashes are multipaned as expected for the 1854 date. Buttresses to the side elevation appear to serve a structural, rather than a design purpose.