The underground public toilets in Napier Street, Footscray were constructed in 1936. Eleven other toilets were built in the Melbourne area during this period due to the general societal view that above ground public toilets were indecent. The undergound public 'conveniences' offered more discreet access and usage of bathroom facilities.
The toilets were possibly decommissioned in the 1970's as the site had been begun to be used by people to take illegal drugs, and attracted unwanted criminal activity to the area. The site was filled in and covered over. Very few written records have been found relating to the site. Full details are available in the report by Mitchell, J & A. Timms dated November 2010.
The underground toilets hold both local and state cultural heritage significance. It offers insight into contemporary attitudes of public decency, as well as exemplifying contemporary architecture and technological advancement with the development of underground water and sewerage in Melbourne.
The Napier Street site is characterised by underground public toilets complete with male and female blocks with seperate stairs to each block. A section of the stairwells was exposed during road works. The remainder of the toilets is under the road.