What is significant? Nos 413-415 Swan Street, Richmond is a Victorian two storey brick terrace pair of shops and combined residences. The ground floor shopfronts have been modified, but the rendered first floor facades are intact, with no. 413 remaining unpainted save for the c.1920s 'Monopole Magnum Cigars' sign. Intact details include double-hung sash windows, window architraves, brackets, supporting stringcourse and mouldings, plus pedimented parapets incorporating panels, brackets, cornices and mouldings, urn pedestals and dividers. The buildings have been extended to the rear; these later elements are not of heritage significance.
How is it significant? Nos 413-415 Swan Street, Richmond is of local historical and aesthetic/architectural significance.
Why is it significant? Nos 413-415 Swan Street is of local historical significance, as a pair of two storey brick shops and combined residences constructed for carpenter, J Wood in 1892. This was just after the period of commercial development consolidation in Swan Street, and unusually during the severe economic Depression of the early 1890s. The buildings were subsequently occupied by a range of retailers and commercial operations, typical for a main street of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. These included sellers of dairy produce, a greengrocer, butcher, hairdresser and tobacconist.
The subject property is also of local aesthetic/architectural significance. It is a well-preserved pair of two storey shops/residences, broadly consistent with many similar nineteenth century commercial buildings in inner suburban main road locations. However, the first floor facades retain their original form and detailing; in particular, the upper level to no. 415 has remained unpainted. This facade is further distinguished through the retention of the 'Monopole Magnum Cigars' sign. Both first floors also have prominent and well-detailed arched pedimented parapets.