The former English, Scottish and Australian Bank was constructed in 1885. It was designed by the prominent architects William Wardell and W L Vernon in the Gothic style. The bank, one of the largest financiers of suburban builders, was constructed in East Hawthorn to provide facilities for the building boom underway in Camberwell after the extension of the railway line from Hawthorn in 1882. The building is brick with a slate roof. In 1961 the former bank was refurbished internally, although it still retains the original staircase and varnished ceiling over the former banking chamber.
How is it significant?
The former English, Scottish and Australian Bank is of historic and architectural significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The former English, Scottish and Australian Bank at East Hawthorn is important for its ability to exhibit the aesthetic characteristics of Wardell's architectural style. The bank is also important as a rare example of Wardell's bank architecture which, together with that at 390 Collins Street Melbourne, are the only designed by Wardell. Essentially constructed as a village branch, the former bank at East Hawthorn provides a contrast, through its comparatively simple style, to that at 390 Collins Street Melbourne. The former English, Scottish and Australian Bank at East Hawthorn is historically important through its association with the land and housing boom of the 1880s, the result of the extension of Melbourne's railway network.
This Gothic style bank, designed by the architects William Wardell and Walter Vernon, was built in 1885 to support the building boom in Camberwell which followed the extension of the railway line in 1882.