The Geelong College, built in 1871, is of architectural and historical significance for the following reasons:
The original building, including the 1871 Main School and its 1873 additions are excellent examples of the work of notable architects Davidson and Henderson, and are substantially intact.The 1870-73 buildings illustrate technical innovation in the early use of hollow or cavity brickwork.
The buildings designed by Philip Hudson, including the South Wing of the Main School and the Refectory (Dining Hall) are excellent examples of collegiate Tudor architecture of the 20th Century and are also intact. The Dining Hall demonstrates outstanding craftsmanship in the use of timber, particularly in the panelling and doors.
The buildings which make up the campus are visually cohesive and illustrate respect by the various architectural firms involved for the original building s designed by Davidson and Henderson.
The buildings demonstrate the historical development of the College, which has played a significant social role, not only in the history of Geelong, but also in Victoria.
The main building, or central precinct of the school, provides evidence of the earlier influences of the school founder, George Morrison.
Warrinn House was acquired by the Geelong College in 1906. Dormitories were added in 1906, and the present form of the building illustrates the earlier relationship between the boarders and Master, together under the one roof.