Statement of Significance
The 1864 Uniting Church is constructed of bluestone with timber framed windows, and a corrugated iron roof. The interior of the church is austere, with no decoration. The Sunday School, erected in 1899, is built of timber, with a brick chimney, and contains a number of decorative Federation era leadlight windows. The Church was erected on land donated by Mr. William Holcombe, and the first services were conducted by the Rev J B Smith who travelled from Hamilton. No architect or builder has been associated with the design of the church or the Sunday school. The church and the Sunday school are in excellent condition and retain a high degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
The Byaduk Uniting Church and Sunday School is of architectural and historical and social significance to the township of Byaduk.
Why is it significant?
The Byaduk Uniting Church and Sunday School are of historical and social significance for the association they have with the establishment of the Wesleyan and later Uniting church in the area, and for its long association with both religious and secular education in Byaduk. It is of further historical significance for its associations with the important early Wesleyan Leader, John Smith. Of further social significance is the function which the church has served as a communal worship and meeting place for over 100 years. The Church, in particular, is of architectural significance for its used of Gothic revival style in a Wesleyan church. The use of this style indicates a rejection of the first Methodists' anti-Papist preference for simple Classical chapels. The Gothic revival became an overwhelming fashion which few Protestant denomination could resist, illustrating an important part of the history of church architecture in Australia.
UNITING CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL - Physical Conditions
The condition of the church and school are excellent.
UNITING CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL - Physical Description 1
The Byaduk Uniting Church and Sunday School are located on the east side of the Hamilton-Port Fairy Road, approximately 250 metres south of the intersection of the Byaduk-Penshurst Road. The 1864 church is constructed of bluestone with timber framed windows, and a corrugated iron roof. There two lancet windows on either side of the nave, with a Gothic arch in the west wall, on either side of the original entrance arch, are leadlight lancet windows with 20th century yellow tinted glass with a border of green glass A brick porch was added to the front entrance in the 20th century, which contains a smaller version of the tinted lancet windows in the west facade.
The interior of the church is austere, with no decoration. The ceiling is plain, painted plaster. The painted plaster walls are unadorned except for two timber memorials, one being the Honour Roll. The wooden pulpit, which appears to be of 20th century origin, is modestly decorated with an arched frieze. The present seating is of a recent date.
The Sunday School, erected in 1899, is built of timber, with a brick chimney, and contains a number of decorative Federation era leadlight windows. A granite tablet has been placed in the footings to the left of the front doors. It reads 'Twentieth Century Sabbath School. This stone was laid by Mrs. Ward Oct 18th 1899.'
The grounds of the church contain two large Canary Island palms, and several shrubs.
UNITING CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL - Historical Australian Themes
Theme 8: Developing Australia's cultural life
8.6.1 Worshipping together
8.6.4 Making places for worship
UNITING CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL - Usage/Former Usage
UNITING CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL - Integrity
Good degree of integrity
UNITING CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL - Physical Description 2
Wesleyan Chapel Reserve
UNITING CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL - Physical Description 3
Wesleyan Chapel Reserve
Heritage Study and Grading
Southern Grampians - Southern Grampians Shire Heritage Study
Author: Timothy Hubbard P/L, Annabel Neylon