What is significant?
The bluestone bridge over Scott's Creek in the centre of Byaduk was built before 1867. It may well be much older considering the importance and age of the routes connecting the port of Port Fairy with the townships of Hamilton, Branxholme and Penshurst at Byaduk. The town was laid out as South Byaduk and the surrounding land sold to selectors and other settlers from 1867. The creek is probably named after one of the first settlers in the area. Bridges were the responsibility of the local roads board or shire but it is not known who designed and built the bridge. It is a standard design with several similar bridges surviving along the road to the south and elsewhere in the region. It incorporates a barrel vault with solid abutments curved outwards at their ends. The stone is rockfaced. The bridge retains a high degree of integrity and is in excellent condition.
How is it significant?
The bridge over Scott's Creek at Byaduk is of historical and architectural significance to the community of Byaduk and to the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The bridge over Scott's Creek at Byaduk is of historical significance because it marks the beginning of the township of Byaduk, reflects the importance of transport especially between the coast and the hinterland, and continues as a node for the town.
The bridge is of architectural significance as a typical example of early bridge design, and for its simple, excellent form and construction. The quality of its engineering has withstood nearly 150 years of traffic on an important transport route.