Statement of Significance
The row of shops are located on the north side of Bell Street, in between French & Martin Streets in the centre of the township of Penshurst. The shops were constructed for Mr. Chesswass, a local businessman, in 1911. There has been no architect or builder associated with the design. The shops have been used for commercial purposes continuously since 1911. The brick shops are in good condition, and retain a high degree of integrity externally and a good degree of integrity internally, with special concern for the 1950s shelving in No 82d.
How is it significant?
The row of four red brick shops at 82 Bell Street is of historical and architectural significance to the Southern Grampians Shire and to the township of Penshurst.
Why is it significant?
The row of four red brick shops at 82 Bell Street is of historical significance as an early twentieth century commercial development and of and architectural significance for its unusual form.
ROW OF BRICK SHOPS (1920s) - Physical Conditions
The shop fronts are in good condition.
ROW OF BRICK SHOPS (1920s) - Physical Description 1
A row of four red brick shops, each with asymmetrical entrances which are paired. The row is unusual because of the plain gables in the facade. These have been painted with a red ochre and have sparse cement render detailing. In the gable above No 82a there is a moulded monogram of the initials "ED". One gable has recently been painted grey. The wall below the gables is divided by elongated brackets. Otherwise the shop fronts are conventional having plate glass windows, glazed tiled stallboards and half-glazed doors with fan lights. The main roof is a transverse gable divided by party walls. There is a timber verandah with a bullnose corrugated iron roof. The timber posts have been replaced by steel poles now on an angle to accommodate a slightly narrower footpath. The verandah roof in front of three shops has been painted with blue and white stripes. Corrugated iron extensions exist at the rear. It seems the shops were never used as residences. The interiorshave pressed metal ceilings. The shop at 82d is a chemist shop with extensive intact shop fittings from the 1950s. The shelves taper, increasing in depth above and below bench height. The dividing brick wall between No 82b and 82c has been partially removed.
ROW OF BRICK SHOPS (1920s) - Historical Australian Themes
Theme 3: Developing local, regional and national economies
3.12 Feeding people
3.12.5 Retailing foods and beverages
3.19 Marketing and Retailing
Theme 4: Building settlements, towns and cities
4.1 Planning urban settlements
4.1.3 Learning to live with property booms and busts.
ROW OF BRICK SHOPS (1920s) - Usage/Former Usage
two occupied by a Milk bar and a chemist, two vacant
ROW OF BRICK SHOPS (1920s) - Integrity
high degree of integrity externally and a good degree of integrity internally, with special concern for the 1950s shelving in No 82d.
ROW OF BRICK SHOPS (1920s) - Physical Description 2
Lot 2 of LP 14154 Section 17 Yalimba Vol. 9506 Fol. 437
Heritage Study and Grading
Southern Grampians - Southern Grampians Shire Heritage Study
Author: Timothy Hubbard P/L, Annabel Neylon
PENSHURST PROTECTORATE SITEVictorian Heritage Inventory
A. J. PAGE ELECTRICAL STORESouthern Grampians Shire
ST ANDREW'S UNITING CHURCHSouthern Grampians Shire
"AMF Officers" ShedMoorabool Shire
"AQUA PROFONDA" SIGN, FITZROY POOLVictorian Heritage Register H1687