23350 Bluestone Stable and Barn Kennedy Cox Penshurst 0974
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - December 16, 2003
What is Significant?
The bluestone stable and barn is located at the north-west corner of Kennedy and Cox Streets, on the approach to Penshurst from Macarthur. It is a rare surviving example of a stable and barn related to domestic agriculture in a township. The bluestone stable and barn is a simple, traditional structure with open spaces at the southern end, presumably used for storage and a coachhouse and stalls at the northern end. A chimney in the northern gable indicates a fireplace for a tack room and suggests that the associated residence. The whole is open to the east although there are small areas of weatherboard wall at either end. There a substantial timber partitions subdividing the major sections. The walls are rockface bluestone laid in 12" courses. The gabled roof has a low pitch and is corrugated iron. The land on which the barn and stables stand was taken up by J Thompson in 1869, although it is not certain that he was responsible for constructing these buildings. There has been no architect or builder associated with the design, which is naïve and vernacular. The buildings are likely to date from the 1870s. The building is in fair condition, but retains a high degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
The bluestone barn and stables are of historical significance to the Southern Grampians Shire and to the township of Penshurst.
Why is it significant?
The bluestone barn and stables are of historical significance are a demonstration of the day to day importance of horse and their management in Penshurst up to the First World War. They are of further significance as a rare surviving example of stables and barn within a township, and demonstrate a previous way of life.