What is significant?
Stirling Homestead Complex and Sheep diary is located in Fishers Lane, approximately 5 kilometers south west of the township of Glenthompson. The complex consists of the original Stirling Homestead, with later additions, a wattle and daub dairy, possibly dating from the 1850s and a modern sheep dairy. The homestead is a simple vernacular timber house dating from the 1870s, which has had the original twelve pane double hung sashes replaced with French doors, and the original door and verandah replaced. Stirling was developed by William Dingwall and his wife Mary who emigrated from Dingwall in Scotland in the second half of the nineteenth century and took up several portions of land around Glenthompson as selectors in the 1870s. At that time the property was known as 'Red Hill'. The land, consisting of over 4000 acres, was subdivided by the Estate of the late William Dingwall in 1907 as 'Red Hill Estate'. The Stirling homestead is in good condition, but its integrity has been diminished by many alterations and additions. The small wattle and daub dairy is in very poor condition and has a poor degree of intactness due to an infestation of Ivy.
How is it significant?
Stirling Homestead Complex is of historical significance to the Southern Grampians.
Why is it significant? Stirling Homestead complex is of historical significance as a representative example of a selectors homestead dating from the 1870s. The association with William and Mary Dingwall is of further historical significance, as they represent the success of some of the selectors, evident in the large amount of land for sale as part of the "Red Hill Estate". The wattle and daub dairy is also of historical significance as a rare surviving example of a wattle and daub building.