What is significant?
The plantation or windbreak of Maritime or Cluster Pines, Pinus pinaster, which stretches for over 1.2kms on the north side of the Hamilton-Chatsworth Road is associated with the Woodhouse squatting run. The plantation curves sinuously with the road and is several trees across. It is not known for certain when of by whom the trees were planted. There is the usual range of pines, including many Maritime Pines planted around the homestead, which dates mostly from the 1850s and 1860s. Alternatively, they may have been planted as late as 1928 when the Ritchie family sold Woodhouse after 74 years of occupation. It is likely that the trees were planted both as a windbreak and for aesthetic reasons, the choice of species being unusual. The plantation stands out as a landmark, especially in silhouette, across a relatively flat and featureless plain. The species is native to the Mediterranean region and fast growing. It is one of several species of exotic pine which were planted in the Western District in gardens and as windbreaks, of which the Monterey or Radiata Pine, Pinus radiata, was by far the most common. This appears to be the biggest plantation of Maritime Pines in the State. The plantation is generally in good condition although some trees are missing, dead or stressed.
How is it significant?
The Maritime Pines Plantation is of aesthetic and scientific significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The Maritime Pine Plantation is of aesthetic significance as a landmark which makes an important contribution to the landscape though is size, form and particular species and as a foil to the nearby garden of the Woodhouse Homestead complex.
The Maritime Pine Plantation is of scientific significance as the most extensive in the State of Victoria.