What is significant?
Mirschin's Homestead Complex is a complex of bluestone buildings located off the Penshurst-Macarthur Road in Burger's Road, 10kms due west of Penshurst. The homestead complex consists of a bluestone homestead and staff quarters, bluestone stables, an early orchard, a later corrugated iron woolshed and as a number of structures made of bluestone surrounding the homestead. These include an outdoor bread oven, smoke house, cow shed, pigsty. An archeological site is located immediately adjacent to the current homestead, where a two storey Lehmwickle structure dating from the 1850s was located. This was removed in 1973. The Mirtschin Homestead complex is built on land which was purchased by Johann Mirtschin and five other Wendish settlers in 1853. Each family was given an allotment of land, on which they built similar pug or Lehmwickle houses, an intact example of which survives at the adjacent Burger family property, Acacia. A later homestead was built in the mid 1870s as Johann and Ernestine's family grew. The bluestone homestead, servants quarters and stables are in very good condition, and retain a high degree of integrity; the smoke house, oven, pigsty and cow shed are in good condition and retain a high degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
Mirtschin's Homestead Complex is of historical, architectural, social and archeological significance to the Gnadenthal community and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
Mirtschin's Homestead Complex is of historical significance for its long association with the Mirtschin family, who have had continuos ownership of the property since 1853. It is of further historical significance for the range of outbuildings which are adjacent to the homestead, and those which are some distance away. These buildings indicate a self sufficiency and a utopian ideal which is indicated in the name which the original settlers of the German community chose, Gnadenthal, meaning 'Valley of Grace'. The complex is historically significant for demonstrating the early immigration and settlement of a minority German group, specifically the Wends or Sorbs into Western Victoria from South Australia. It is of social significance as one of the best and most intact demonstrations of their lifestyle. It is of further significance for its links with the settlement of the Wimmera. The complex is of architectural significance as a complete small mixed farm and especially for the use of vernacular construction techniques. The site is considered to be of archaeological significance for the potential which the site of the original Lehmwickle house may have to yield information about the past.