What is significant?
Drumlayne, located on the Henty Highway immediately west of the crossing with Muddy Creek, is a single-storey, asymmetrical bluestone house. The house is in a much-reduced version of the Italianate style, fashionable at that time. It appears to have been built soon after the land was purchased by William Watson in 1872. Little is known of Watson who may have been acting as a dummy for local squatters but may also have wanted the block near the creek for strategic reasons. There was a William Watson who operated a tannery at Rosebrook from very early times. For most of the early twentieth century the property was run as a dairy farm by the Kirkwood family and, through their daughter Dorothy, the Pitman family from 1953. A small woolshed also allowed for sheep, fat lambs and wool. The main block was subdivided in 1986 and has had a series of residential owners subsequently. This triggered changes and modernisations. The house is in good condition and retains a fair degree of integrity. The woolshed and dairy also survive in fair condition.
How is it significant?
Drumlayne is of historical significance to the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
Drumlayne is of historical and architectural significance as a modest example of domestic architecture representing the Land Selection period and subsequently as a the residence associated with a small mixed farm in the twentieth century.