The property at 65-543 Greigs Rd, Truganina, is significant as a rare, predominantly intact example of a small farm complex of Federation styled buildings in the Melton Shire. These buildings consist of a main house and an outbuilding, all being similarly designed with gambrel roof forms. Established c.1910, the significance of the place is enhanced by the long drive flanked by mature eucalypts and peppercorn trees and the rural setting. The property is also significant as one of the more substantial grazing-farming complexes built as a result of the break up of the Clarke Rockbank estate in 1906.
The main house at 65-543 Greigs Rd, Truganina is architecturally significant at a LOCAL level (AHC D.2, E.1). It demonstrates original design qualities of a Federation homestead style. These qualities include the gambrel roof form, together with the broken back encircling verandah and two minor gables within the main roof that project at the front and comprise rectangular bay windows below the verandah. Other intact or appropriate qualities include the single storey height, symmetrical composition, deep red painted galvanised corrugated steel roof cladding, horizontal timber weatherboard wall cladding, three face brick chimneys with rendered bands and multi-corbelled tops, turned timber verandah posts with projecting capitals, decorative brackets and timber fretwork valances, timber framed casement windows, timber framed door openings, stuccoed gable infill and the timber truss decoration in the projecting gables at the front. One similarly-designed timber and galvanised corrugated steel outbuilding, with gambrel roof forms, together with the long drive flanked by mature eucalypts and peppercorn trees, also contribute to the significance of the place.
The property at 65-543 Greigs Rd, Truganina is historically significant at a LOCAL level (AHC A4, B2). It was built as a consequence of the early twentieth century break-up of the pastoral estates, a turning-point in the history of Melton Shire. It is one of the more substantial and intact farm houses and complexes that were built on the Clarke family's massive Rockbank pastoral estate at the time. Its original acquisition by WJT ('Big') Clarke in 1865 is indicative of the unsuitability of much of the stoney and dry land for farming, and the particularly difficult seasons of the early 1860s; its incorporation into the Clarke pastoral empire at this time was common throughout the Shire. It was purchased by well-known real estate agent WS Keast when the Rockbank estate was broken up and sold by Sir Rupert Turner Havelock Clarke in 1906. It was occupied for most of the late twentieth century by well-known local grazier and former Werribee Mayor Baden Powell.
Overall, the property at 65-543 Greigs Rd, Truganina is of LOCAL significance.