Mirboo on Tarwin Mechanics' Institute and Free Library
Statement of Significance
What is significant? The former Mirboo-on-Tarwin Mechanics Institute and Free Library, designed by T.E. Molloy and constructed by Lingsing & Feekner in 1928, at 285 Mirboo South Road, Mirboo.
Why is it significant? The former Mirboo-on-Tarwin Mechanics Institute and Free Library is of historic, aesthetic, social and technical significance to South Gippsland Shire.
Historically, it is a rare example of a small multi-purpose public hall designed for cinema projection by travelling projectionists. As the only surviving public building of Mirboo it is highly important in understanding and interpreting the importance of the township from the first settlement of the area until the Second World War. (AHC criteria - A.4 and D.2)
Aesthetically, it is the most outstanding small public hall in the Shire and is notable as an integrated composition of built forms with minimal decoration, each element highly expressive of its function. The interior combines expression of its highly functional forms and materials with limited but selective decorative elements to the focal features. The quality of the design demonstrates the importance of Mirboo township during the interwar years and the significant role that the Hall played in local community life. (AHC criterion - E.1)
Technologically, it expresses an unusual integration of architecture and function employing lightweight and fireproof construction in transportable materials. (AHC criterion - F.1) Socially, it played an important role in the development of the Mirboo community and is an integral part of the identity of the local area. (AHC criterion - G.1) Note: The Mirboo-on-Tarwin Mechanics Institute Hall was added to the Victorian Heritage Register in February 2002 as VHR 1973.