The property at 345 Hills Road Derrinal is of significance. It includes the brick house of 1905, and a timber cottage c.1850s. Other outbuildings are not of significance.
How is it significant?
345 Hills Road Derrinal is of local of historical, technical and aesthetic significance to the City of Greater Bendigo.
Why is it significant?
345 Hills Road is of historic significance for its early date of establishment of 1852 when it formed part of the Derrinal sheep run of John Hunter Patterson and William Speed in the following year. The purchase from the Crown is relatively early for the study area, the land in the ownership of Speed by 1857. It is also of historic significance for its long association with the Hill family from c.1900 to the present time as it is still in the ownership of F.L Hill. The two houses on the site show the evolution of the property from the 1850s to c.1900. Criterion A
It is of aesthetic significance as a substantial brick homestead of which there are relatively few in the study area. The design is influenced by fashionable urban houses of the period including the paired verandah columns, frieze, front steps detailed in brick and render, strapping to the gable end and the house name in raised lettering. Apart from part of the verandah having been infilled , it has a high degree of integrity. Criterion D
The small timber cottage is of aesthetic and technical significance for its wide weatherboard cladding and evidence of early building technology and for its steeply pitched roof. Criterion B
Derrinal Estate, including homestead and cottage, Hill's glaciated pavements - Physical Description 1
345 Hills Road contains a homestead, cottage and woolshed. The place also contains a glaciated pavement as outlined in HO334 entry. The house at 345 Hills Road is a large Edwardian brick house of urban character. Of red brick with rendered detailing, the symmetrical form of the house includes a convex profile verandah extending around three sides. A central hipped roof has flanking gable roofed wings and there is a central gable over the front door with sinuous strapwork and "Derrinal" in raised lettering. The verandah has paired cast iron posts with a frieze and brackets. The windows are tall and narrow and set in pairs. The verandah has been partially built in to provide a sleep out. There is a large brick wing at the rear which has a gable roof of a rather flat pitch and a large chimney with bold detailing.
There is a small cottage on the site that appears to be of very early construction date and is built of timber. This building would appear to be associated with the Patterson or Speed ownership of the site and is likely to be an early cottage on the estate. This building is notable for steeply pitched roof and wide horizontal boards used as cladding. There is a brick chimney that has been rebuilt at the top.
There is also a large corrugated iron woolshed/ machinery shed on the site. This appears to have several extensions to the original structure and is not of particular interest.