The farm complex, Mount View, at 160 Murphy's Lane, Knowsley, comprising the house that appears c. 1912 or earlier, and the large outbuilding (barn), wash house and garage are significant. The coprosma and cypress hedges, palm trees, peppercorn trees and large pines are also significant.
How is it significant?
Mount View is of local historical and aesthetic significance to the City of Greater Bendigo.
Why is it significant?
The Mount View homestead complex is rare and outstanding in the study area, representing successful farming in the late 19th to early 20th century. Mount View contains buildings from both the O'Brien and Murphy ownership, with the barn and washhouse relating to the nineteenth century ownership and the house and garage from the early part of the twentieth century. Criterion B
Mount View is historically significant for its long term association with the Murphy family for over 100 years. Beginning with Timothy Murphy, who was already established in the district when he purchased the property in 1906, the family has continued to own and run the place as a working farm up until the present day. Criterion A
Mount View is an excellent example of a highly intact homestead with an established garden layout. It is unusual in the study area and is highly intact externally and has a garden with established palm trees, hedge and garden beds. The barn is of aesthetic value for its form and materials, being built in several stages from the 19th century and containing examples of different types of timber cladding including vertical palings. Criterion D
Mount View is a farm complex comprising a house (appears c1912 or earlier, however family believes is c1920-21), and several outbuildings in proximity to the house. All of the buildings are of timber and the outbuildings appear to pre-date the house. The garden is surrounded by a post and rail fence and to the front is a comprosma hedge, and to the side is a cypress hedge. There is a tennis court to one side of the house. Several palm trees are located at the corners of the house and there were once two other palms now removed from the front garden.
To the rear of the house is a weatherboard gabled roof outbuilding used as a dairy and wash-house, and to one side is a large outbuilding built of a variety of timber palings, corrugated iron and weatherboard cladding. This has been built in several stages and been extended lengthwise as well as an added transverse gable that was built on to use as a garage. A further outbuilding closer to the house was designed as a garage in complementary style. The house has a very high hipped roof and return verandah butting into side wings. There is timber strapping decoration to the front gable, corbels beneath the eaves and the bull nosed verandah has timber fretwork decoration. There are several tall brick chimneys with shaped cornices executed in face brick. Externally the house is in good condition and is highly intact.
Generally good, however pine trees are in poor condition.
Clause 43.01 of the planning scheme clearly outlines that a permit is not required for the removal, destroying, or lopping of a tree if it presents an immediate risk of personal injury or damage to property. This wording is as follows:
43.01-1 Permit requirement
A permit is required to:
Remove, destroy, or lop a tree if the schedule to this overlay identifies the heritage place as one where tree controls apply. This does not apply:
- To any action which is necessary to keep the whole or any part of a tree clear of an electric line provided the action is carried out in accordance with a code of practice prepared under Section 86 of the Electricity Safety Act 1998.
- If the tree presents an immediate risk of personal injury or damage to property.