The property Riverbend at 2306 Kyneton Redesdale Road, including the bluestone house of c.1870, remnant orchard, mature cypress tree and brick well is significant. The newer house on site is not of significance.
How is it significant?
The property at 2306 Kyneton Redesdale Road is of local historic and aesthetic significance to the City of Greater Bendigo.
Why is it significant?
Riverbend, variously named Gamble's Paddock or Summerhill was constructed c.1870 by Edward Gamble and remained in the same family for over 50 years. Edward Gamble owned the land until his death in 1911 when it was officially transferred to his heirs in 1920. Criteron A
The house at 2306 Kyneton Redesdale Road aesthetically significant as a well crafted stone house with snecked and coursed bluestone walls, Riverbend retains many original details such as fine glazing bars in the multi-paned windows, plaster, timber shingles, mantle pieces and original front door (although this is removed from its fixings). The setting is significant with a remnant orchard, mature cypress tree and brick well that provide tangible evidence of the daily life of the early residents. Criterion D
'Riverbend' farm and outbuildings - Physical Description 1
The setting of Riverbend is picturesque, on a slope set well back from the road and framed by mature trees. It stands slightly apart from the group of other buildings and is skylined on the hill. There are alsoa number of other farm buildings in proximity that are not of interest.
Riverbend is likely to have been built c.1870. Several architectural features including the higher pitch of the roof, the fine glazing bars, small fanlight over the front door indicate a quite early date of construction. It appears that there was never a verandah constructed to the front of this house. The bluestone walls are snecked and coursed and the brick chimneys have corbelled mouldings with dentillations. There are single pieces of rough cut stone used as lintels and sills to the wall openings.
Beneath the existing corrugated iron sheeting are the remains of a timber shingle roof. The house, although vacant and in poor condition, retains many original features including timber fire surrounds, picture rails, hard plaster as an internal finish, timber ceilings, window frames and sashes and the front door. The rear of the building has been built in two parts with two types of stonework evident. One side is in good condition whilst the other is almost ruinous with the rubble stone walls deteriorating through lack of proper roofing.
The site contains an old orchard, a large cypress tree and a brick well. There is evidence of other stone buildings or of fallen material from the house as there are piles of stone and brick scattered about the site.