The former Newstead Shire Chambers on the Castlemaine-Guildford at Campbell's Creek was constructed in the 1860s as a toll house in the town. One of the issues about which the District Roads Board of Newstead which was concerned after their formation in 1861 was the provision of toll roads which was a major issue after a local road was designated a Common Toll Road. By 1867 there are records indicating that the toll gate be removed and that the tool house was shifted for Roads Board meetings. The building then became the Newstead Shire Council Chambers until about 1915 upon amalgamation of the shires. It is now owned by Mount Alexander Council and leased to various bodies as a meeting place. The building is a small timber framed and horizontal weatherboard clad structure with corrugated iron clad hipped roof with overhanging eaves lined with beaded board. A small entrance porch with gabled awning is at the southern end of the entrance facade.
The former Newstead Shire Chambers is of historical importance to the state of Victoria.
The building is a rare surviving toll house, associated with the development of local government and transport infrastructure in Victoria. There are three other toll houses known to survive.