What is significant? The former Dairy & Milk Bar, constructed c.1935 for Mrs. C. Lazarus, at 136A Nicholson Street, Brunswick East is significant. This is a small interwar building of cubic form witha parapet that conceals the hipped roof. The building is very austere and decoration is limited to the incised bands that wrap around the wall corners and the panels at the front that contain 'Dairy & Milk Bar' in stylised Art Deco style lettering. There is also a soldier course of thin bricks above the front window and door that wraps around the south side elevation, and a stepped reveal to the front door.
Non-original alterations and additions are not significant.
How is it significant? The former Dairy & Milk Bar at 136A Nicholson Street, Brunswick East is of local historic and aesthetic significance to the City of Moreland.
Why is it significant? It is significant as a representative example of the modern dairies/milk bars that emerged in the 1930s after the establishment of the Milk Board in 1932 when many dairy licences were cancelled and the number of dairies was reduced by half and demonstrates the transition from traditional distribution dairies to retail dairies or milk bars. (Criteria A & D)
It has aesthetic significance as a fine example of a late 1930s commercial building in the Streamlined Moderne style. The taut rectilinear form, incised horizontal bands and stepped doorway opening are all typical of this style and the building is especially notable for the fine example of integrated original signage in the Art Deco style. (Criterion E)